Top 10 Reasons to Shop at a Farmers Market
10. Farmers markets are easy to find.
Use the USDA Farmers Markets Search to find one near you. Some community farmers markets provide fresh, healthy foods when other sources aren’t as easily accessed.
9. SNAP and WIC cards are accepted at most farmers markets.
8. You can try a new fruit or vegetable!
Have you ever tasted gooseberries or rhubarb? Many farmers markets offer lesser known fruits and vegetables, providing a variety that can be both tasty and nutritious.
7. Farmers often have good recommendations on ways to prepare their products.
6. Buy foods and see how they fit with ChooseMyPlate.
Create a healthy plate with goodies from your local farmers market. Visit different booths to pick up seasonal fruits and vegetables, as well as local dairy, grain and protein products so you can build your healthy plate
5. Farmers markets can be important anchors for vibrant communities.
Meet your local farmers, learn about foods grown in your area and catch up with friends and neighbors while stocking up with local goods.
4. It’s a great way to get your kids involved.
Let them pick out something new to try, then they can help prepare a meal or snack.
3. Fresh fruit and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
2. Shopping at farmers markets supports your local farmers and keeps the money you spend closer to your neighborhood.
Find a farmers market near you and plan your next shopping trip now! You can help new and/or smaller farmers be successful and help save farmland in your area.
1. Freshly picked ripe food is at its peak in flavor and nutrition.
Stop by your local farmers market today, learn about where your food comes from, and enjoy some delicious and nutritious food.