- 2 egg whites
- 3 bananas, mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour (preferably barley, oat, whole wheat pastry flour, or almond flour)
- 1/4 cup whipped butter (may substitute any trans-fat free tub spread of choice or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (may use sugar substitute instead)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with oil spray or use liners.
In a large bowl, mix the sugar and butter. Add the egg whites, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the banana, water, almond extract, and vanilla. Add the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until the flour is just combined, but do not overmix.
Fill each muffin cup half full with the batter. Bake 13 to 16 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Turn the muffins out on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, the muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or frozen for up to 1 month.