- 5 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour (or 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup whole-wheat white flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark (or semisweet) chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare a standard 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners and coat liners with oil spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, milk, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold the batter until just combined (do not overmix). Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. The muffins can be frozen in a sealed freezer bag for up to 2 months. For best results, freeze muffins immediately after baking and cooling to room temperature.