Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Number of servings: 7 truffles
Semisweet Chocolate – 3 ounces + 6 ounces for coating
Egg Yolk – 1 each
Butter (Room temp)- 1 tbsp
Amaretto liqueur- 1 tbsp
Confect sugar- 2 tbsp
Unsweetened cocoa powder or finely crushed walnuts for dusting (optional)
1) Over double boiler (water should simmer, not boil), melt chocolate.
2) Whisk in butter and TEMPER egg yolk until incorporated.
3) Take off double boiler and immediately whisk in liqueur and confection sugar until smooth.
4) Cover and chill until firm enough to shape (at least 1 hour).
5) Shape mixture into balls and insert toothpick into top. Place in freezer.
6) Over double boiler, melt at least 5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate. When fully melted, add ONE ounce of semisweet chocolate into mixture and stir. This process is NECESSRY for chocolate to harden properly.
7) Dip the chilled chocolate balls into mixture for even coating.
8) Place in freezer and chill until outer shell is hard.